Re: [teacherartexchange] Class load and prep periods

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 04:15:52 PDT

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Rebecca Burchwrote:
> I teach in a private school, but my course load seems to be pretty
> normal.  I teach 3 classes of Art I, with one of them being mixed Art
> I/Art II, and 3 middle school art exploratory classes.  I have lunch
> or after school duty most weeks, and one prep period per day.  Hope
> this helps.

I also teach in a private school (grades 8-12) and I teach 6
mixed-level classes and have one prep period. Occasionally I'll have
one class that's ALL Art 1 or whatever, but that's rare. It's a
challenge to get all the different levels going on projects (I teach
Art 1, Art 2, Advanced Art, Honors Art, Graphic Design/Yearbook
Production) but most of the time I have 10 students or less per class
so it's do-able. I just have to be very organized and plan well.

I'm also responsible for maintaining the school's Facebook page (year
round), producing the school's yearbook (with the assistance of one or
two kids who take the Graphic Design/Yearbook Production class; other
students help to provide pictures, etc.) and as I teach at a
boarding/day school, there are numerous other duties as well. At
lunch we sit with 5-6 students who are our advisees, though on
Wednesdays we have "free seating."

It's a VERY busy schedule and the pay is FAR below public school pay.
BUT after all these years (I've been teaching at this school since
1999) it's still worth it. Given the # of teachers who were laid off
this year in the public school system due to budget cuts, I think my
job is fairly secure.

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net