RE: [teacherartexchange] Class load and prep periods

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2010 - 11:42:56 PDT

Hi
  I just retired from 34 years of teaching. Over those years our teaching loads and prep times as well as duty periods were in our contract and negotiated. First hint from me is see what your contract says. Usually it says something about "pupil contact time". Second hint from me is see your union rep who knows all of these things. For a period of about 10 years, I, along with other non academic teachers worked more periods than our colleagues. After a 10 year push, we had our contract changed to include all teachers. Perhaps yours is like that as well. If that be the case, you must become an advocate and a voice for your working conditions. That said, things only get done in education if you are respected by your colleagues. In other words, it wasn't until the other teachers realized that "hey wait a minute, she, who is on commitees with us, works afterschool doing extra curriculars with us, is not being treated the same as us". Now the contract in my old district PAYS you per class (that includes every teacher) if you are assigned more classes than the norm.

Now to answer your question directly. I taught 5 classes, had one prep period and one duty period in a 7 period day on the high school level. Each class was 45 minutes long. I know my colleagues in the middle and elementary school have a different configuration of student contact time, but if you added it up, it all equalled to the same amount of time.

San D