Re: [teacherartexchange] new year, new challenges, need help!

---------

mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 07:18:34 PDT

It sounds like you are very fortunate to have a job teaching art, and with a supportive admin as well! You sound very excited and enthusiastic rather than panicked.

When I switched from HS to MS I had never taught sequential grades before; my HS classes were mixed grade. I knew the students had not had very good art learning in the past, though they loved their former art teacher (he was a very "happy hands" kind of teacher who taught a lot of random, crafty projects). So the first year, I taught the fifth and sixth graders almost the same sequential curric based on the Es and Ps (though the assignments were different). That way I knew they would all have a solid grounding for the following year, and it cut my stress for planning two totally different currics. This list and The Incredible Art Department were my best resources for ideas. I looked at all kinds of lessons that would tie in with each unit, and I adapted lower grade and upper grade lessons to suit the age group.

Maggie