Re: [teacherartexchange] Nam June Paik idea

---------

bmarder_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 16:43:01 PDT

Hi Bunki,

I just knew you would have some leads. It turns out we recycle all the
computers in my school system-large urban and much recycling. But if
I had old machines like you are talking about, then I would definitely
use them to make "robots" with a video piece. I am convinced Nam June
Paik is the link I need to bridge the 20thc to the 21st. He understood
that the moving image as an electronic canvas.

I have some old old ibooks and am thinking of bringing them into my
classroom-I also have some digital cameras that have capacity for
decent video clips (my cameras). I am thinking of having small groups
of kids create video projects that link with art concepts and maybe
will use cardboard boxes and cut openings like old TV screens-but I am
going to introduce Nam June Paik to the kids and brainstrom and see
what they themselves come up with. I also have a grant for a field
trip to a sculpture park that has an amazing piece by him.

Do tell me about your project as it progresses.

I am checking out RAFT.

Thanks!

Barbara