[teacherartexchange] Cube Templates and Short Story Book Art Lessons

---------

From: Angela Davidson (addartistic_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 13:16:48 PDT

I would also be interested in using short story books to precede art
lessons. Any ideas are welcome.
Also, I heard about an Op Art Cube. Does anyone have more information on
that? How about a template for the cube.
Sue

If you were to google "cube template" you would get several options in
Google Images. Here is a math/science site that has cubes, tetrahedrons
and other shapes as well. The kids love them as extra fill in activities.
www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/cube-model.html

Activities with Stories:

For 3rd Graders, I have used "Owl Moon",by Jane Yolan (Caldicott award). It
has beautiful watercolor illustrations. I follow up with a watercolor
landscape project.
For 4th Graders, "A Bad Case of Stripes" by David Shannon. We learn about
portraits and do a regular portrait. I read this book and we do a portrait
where they have a bad case of _______ (something they choose.) They love
it!

Most of my Book related projects I do are for the younger grades of PK-2.
Eric Carle, we do a painted paper project. "The very Lazy Ladybug" - we
make a stuffed ladybug out of paper. Dr. Seuss, "Wocket in my Pocket". We
make a creature of any sort coming out of a pocket. (I found this on
Incredible Art Dept.)

Caldicott Award books are always nice for a jumping off point.

I have gained so many ideas myself from this forum. It has been my saving
grace. Thank you everyone!

Angela D.
PK-12 Art Teacher