[teacherartexchange] Nam June Paik idea

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 09:41:41 PDT

HI. I haven't used Nam June Paik as an artist motivator but then I'm
not familiar with this artist and had to look the name up on google. I
do have an idea for you. In fact, I was thinking of doing something
like this for the coming year. I went to our district warehouse this
summer to see if they had some old surplus file cabinets and book
shelf (which I could spray paint for my room) . While there, they had
stacks and stack of old surplus computers going to the dump. I
confiscated a couple to take apart for the insides. Years ago when I
went to an NAEA convention workshop, a college teacher had done the
same thing and had his students make wearable jewelry with the wires,
mother boards, etc. All you would basically need are the parts, wire
cutters, and "nail glue" from the hardware store. Think of the
exciting adventure and brain rush of finally taking apart one of those
contraptions that seems to be taking over the entire whole. I need to
check into the safety factors first though.

Here is northern CA we had RAFT...Resource Area For Teachers...which
many companies donate to and offers junk, unused items, machine parts
for pennies on the dollar. I go there once a year to "shop" and get
wire, sponge parts, office machinery parts, paper, ribbons, plastics,
you-name-it. Most states have such places. You should check into
recycling areas around you. Freecycle.org is a good start. I put in
Boston, Mass. and a lot of good stuff came up. Google for places near
you. There's places out there...especially around a big city like
Boston. Toodles......Bunki