[teacherartexchange] from an article from the NY Times

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 06:55:18 PDT

I thought this might be relevant to our discussions on teaching art. This is from a teacher (who had been out of the classroom for many many years, and then returned) who is responding to an article on education courses.

10 things that can’t be taught in an education course:
- classroom management and getting the respect of students
- passion for your subject
- in-depth knowledge of your subject that goes beyond curriculum requirements
- a gift for explaining complex concepts
- creativity in lessons
- love for young people, especially the most unlovable
- willingness to work past 3 o’clock and on weekends
- insatiable curiosity
- the courage to let students teach one another while you serve as a guide instead of a lecturer
- the desire to always be better at what you do
This is what it really takes to be a good, even a great, teacher.
— Barbara Mehlman