Re: [teacherartexchange] Learning Focused

---------

From: watercolorwiz (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 04:24:26 PDT

Dana: I've decided the first of the school year is both the best (I get to see students) and the worst (I see what new tortures await me in terms of whittling away time. It may be for you, too.
I really like your self-awareness level: too many times, teachers just quit reflecting on their practice. I hope that while you're contemplating what you do, that you also reflect on what works.
As a second-career art teacher whose been at it for more than a decade, I know that there are plenty of times I've felt inept, particularly when a new program has been introduced, or a new duty has been added. it's burdensome.
For me, what made the difference was going through the National Board process. It was terribly hard in terms of time and commitment, but I feel freer to "experiment" in the class room, based on what my students need. And I guess that's what my final message to you would be--feel free to consider this "Learning Focused" method part of what you use to experiment in class. No experiment works 100% of the time, for 100% of the subjects.
Good luck!