Re: [teacherartexchange] Learning Focused

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 22 2009 - 04:56:58 PDT

Hi Dana - Is Learning Focused a slick, packaged program promised to
raise test scores? Is your district paying thousands of dollars to
participate? I looked at their website... it looks like the
Thoughtful Classroom by Silver Strong which stormed our state a couple
of years ago... (districts payed over $100,000 for 3 years).
I am sure there are benefits to the programs - and a lot of people
love them. (Mostly Administrators because it looks like you are
current it you are doing it) If a school is low performing... or has
a high rate of teacher turn over.... maybe lots of beginning
teachers.... or a school that just needs a jump start then maybe
coming together to focus on issues may start dialog.

It sounds like you are frustrated with how your teaching is going - if
this gives you the guidance you need, then that is great. If it piles
on 'have to' ways of doing things, and creates more superficial work
than allowing a reflective look at your practice - you aren't going to
like it.

It is hard being the lone teacher for a subject in your school - and
this listserv really helped me. But good practice isn't confined to
one subject area - or really individualized to subjects - are there
teachers in your building, or teachers that you have met somewhere
that you would like to observe?

I may be wrong about Learning Focused - I would like to hear more...

Ellen