[teacherartexchange] Books for Mid School Art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 16:37:02 PDT

At a meeting in Albuquerque today - we were discussing how to best
teach art in the schools. The subject of bridges came up
and I remembered Ernest Goldstein and his wonderful little book Joseph
Stella the Brooklyn Bridge (Lets Get Lost in a Painting)
(Hardcover) by Robert Saunders (Author), Ernest Goldstein (Author) I
talked about his children's book and I mentioned meeting
Ernie Goldstein. He wrote several small books which were later
included into art classroom text books
as chapters. I used the texts in my classes in KC but mostly for the
stories Ernie wrote. The text was called Understanding and Creating Art.
he wrote in depth stories about masterpieces like: Grant Wood,
American Gothic, The Statue Abraham Lincoln: A Masterpiece by Daniel
Chester French, Winslow Homer the Gulf Stream, Emanuel Leutze
Washington Crossing the Delaware, Edward Hicks: The Peaceable Kingdom
and The Journey of Diego Rivera (which I still have a copy of). I
must have left everything else in my classroom. Ernie told his stories
with passion at art teacher conferences. We invited him to Kansas City
once. Sadly he has long since passed and it appears all
his books are out of print.
                                                Woody
Since I can't find references about Ernie on the internet - I thought
I'll ask my art teacher friends on the web for stories about Ernie.
Did you meet him ? Have you used his books in your classrooms ? He and
his books were a rare treasure. When he was in KC
we took him for Arthur Bryant's BBQ. I'll be sure to think about Ernie
when I bite into some BBQ in KC next week.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

Read My Blog:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog09/August.html