RE: [teacherartexchange] FW: Blue Dog

---------

From: Horn, Blue (bhorn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 05:48:04 PDT

The kids love doing an art lesson with the Blue Dog! I use the book 'Why is Blue Dog Blue' by George Rodrigue himself. After we read and review his images (I also use a couple of youtube videos - there are a few great ones out there), we discuss our options... The kids can draw their dog thick, thin, tall, etc. and choose to color their dog any way they choose - and some add polka dots and other patterns. When discussing their background, they add something they are familiar with - from the beach to their bedrooms. Oil pastels on a neutral paper work best for me, but of course the options are wide open. I have added a sample pic on my web site of the 4th grade kids in progress on it: http://greystoneart.wordpress.com/

Good luck!
blue