Re:[teacherartexchange] public art unit plan

---------

From: Beth Edelstein (bme204_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 06:52:52 PDT

Dear Louise,
I am not entirely sure what a Unit Plan involves, but there are lots
of good resources on the preservation issues of public sculpture which
can add an interesting dimension to studying this topic. Save Outdoor
Sculpture might be a good place to start:
http://www.heritagepreservation.org/Programs/Sos/index.html
And the city that sponsors the exhibition usually has in place some
guidelines for choice of materials, etc to ensure that the work can be
displayed outdoors; the  Arts and Cultural Affairs Coordinator or the
application materials for artists may have some information as well.
Students could talk about what factors are important for an outdoor
sculpture and what materials might not be good choices.
The proceedings of a conference on public art (Conservation and
Maintenance of Contemporary Public Art) a few years ago in Cambridge
MA is also a good resource, they're short and accessible articles if i
recall correctly!
http://americans4thearts.stores.yahoo.net/conandmainof.html

Sounds like a great project!
(Also, on a personal note, if you know Bryan Zygmont in the Clarke art
history department please say hello for me!)
Beth Edelstein
New York, NY

 7. Public Art Unit Plan

--
Beth Edelstein
Sherman Fairchild Center for Objects Conservation