RE: [teacherartexchange] Ideas for Museum Education Center

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 17 2009 - 05:06:55 PDT

What about a set of prints that you rotate - and questions attached. I
just put a bulletin board up of Cole's Oxbow (from the AEH set..) before
I put the print up I took some close-up pictures of certain areas - the
sheep, canoe, horse and rider.... and put those along the bottom for the
younger kids to find in the print. As you go higher on the bulletin
board the questions become a little harder - I have the questions typed
up, and a corresponding factoid pulls out from behind. I used the
teacher resource materials with the print as a starting point - but I
rephrase them to be open-ended.

There are some great card games - I like the Close-up series, art memo
games, magic square puzzles... you could make your own.

You could have a large loom and unusual materials - film strips,
ribbons, video tape, belts, (a Goodwill treasure, or something from the
hardware store) ... for a collaborative piece for people to work on.

Picture of the day - something from the newspaper or magazine with some
questions posted to generate thought or dialogue between parent and
child. (I like the pictures on Bing everyday - and the facts that pop up
when you scroll.)

Story starters - display a print... ask a question - let people post
their comments...(I use the Take 5 series of prints - there is one of
kindergarten kids painting..."How did you feel on your first day of
school?"

I use the Connections card game too - just looked on line and can't find
them - must be old. They are just images in nature, science.... look
at two dissimilar objects and say how they are alike (function,
structure, texture, color, ....synectics.)

Ellen