Re: [teacherartexchange] Smocks

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 10:34:18 PDT

At my school, the kids are asked to bring their own old adult-sized shirt
for art class. They have their name written on the back in Sharpie. They
keep them in their lockers, and wear them to art class. I do have a supply
of extras that I keep on hand for those that forget, or don't have access to
an old shirt. Sometimes that has become an issue, when the inevitable case
of head lice shows up from time to time....I used to get bent out of shape
about that, and quickly take the shirts home and wash them, but now I just
tell kids they can use my shirts at their own risk--otherwise, bring their
own. The other elementary teacher asks students to bring aprons, but I feel
that the shirts do a better job of covering kids' clothes.

Mary H.

I always used old button-down shirts that were oversize, the type
you'd find at Goodwill or a rummage sale. Kids learned how to stand in
a line, put the shirt on backwards, and button the shirt of the person
in front of them.

Melissa