Re: [teacherartexchange] Fun first week of school ideas

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 03:54:45 PDT

I have covered the tables with brown or white paper (rolls) and used a
sponge brush to add a black line - wavy, spiral - twisting turning...
and then as each grade comes in (I have had K-8) they use oil pastels
to add to the background - patterns etc. Then I take close-ups of
details... and do a seek and find type of bulletin board for the front
hall with the detail photos and designs. I talk about procedures
etc.. let them have a little summer catch up while they work.
Sometimes I cut the work down to smaller pieces before putting them
up.

I have also cut lattice strips to different lengths with mitered
corners. Prime them white. Then pout out acrylics. The first class
paints each piece one color - the next uses brushes to add thick
lines... the rest of the classes use erasers, marker tops, posterboard
pieces (thin lines), pencil points, brush handles.... to print
patterns on the thick lines... I am not sure I am explaining so you
can 'see' it - looks a little Oaxacan.
I use hot glue to attach to the wall outside my room - like a maze.

I have also used heavy weight white paper cut into squares... tempera
cakes and paint and the students 'play' with color combinations and
concentric circle (Kandinsky) - I mount on scrap foam core and also
hot glue like a mosaic to the wall. Just to get moving.

I like the collaborative projects because everyone get to have a part
- no one is pressured to finish the first day and I can use them for
permanent displays -

Ellen