[teacherartexchange] Fun first week of school ideas

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 14:05:57 PDT

Hello all,

Each year I like to do a studio activity with students on the first day
instead of going over rules and regulations like every other teacher in the
building (I teach 7th and 8th grade). I try to find something that helps me
to get to know each student better- through the actual assignment and also
because I am able to interact with students while they are working on the
project. Here's an example of something I've done in the past . . .
http://frecklephoto.com/2006/09/01/fun-flip-flops/ Each student creates
tagboard flip flop with a personal collage- more details on my blog. These
only take a couple of days and are always a hit at open house.

I'm wondering if any of you have other first week activity ideas to share.
I'm looking for something new once again.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa