[teacherartexchange] Alphabet ideas

---------

From: Ronda Sternhagen (rsternhagen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 05:29:40 PDT

Back in the day when I taught elementary art, one of my favorite
lessons that I did with 1st graders was based on Eric Carle. I had a
video showing how he created his papers for his collage images. We
used regular 'typing' paper (that shows how old I am!) and created our
papers with tempera or watercolor. The papers were community papers,
anyone in class could use them when we created our collages. It was
important that the kids know that up front. We would have papers
drying all over everywhere.

I would print alphabet pages with the basic learning manuscript-style
letters...Aa, Bb, Cc, etc. one per page. The kids would randomly get a
letter page that they were to illustrate. We had a lot apples and
apple trees for Aa, etc. We bound the books, and since I had multiple
sections of each grade level, we put a copy in the school's library
for check-out, one to the preschool classroom, kindergarten room, or
even the public library for check-out (small town). They were great!
In was a 'real-world' (now there's a good education buzz word) project
since we were putting them out for the public to view and whomever was
looking at them needed to be able to see and understand their
illustration. The back cover of the book listed all of the
illustrators, etc.

I'm sure the older grades would maybe do well with this and even enjoy
it. Seems like they always love to do things for others. What am I
thinking? Maybe I should bring this up to the kids I teach now? :-)

Enjoy...

Ronda Sternhagen
6-12 Art Teacher
Grundy Center MS/HS
1006 M Avenue
Grundy Center IA 50638
319.825.5449 x331

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
::: Scott Adams :::