[teacherartexchange] kdg lessons with letters

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 19:56:36 PDT

All of the people who faithfully read the teacherartexchange should just get free airfare to the conferences because you are a devoted to teaching bunch! I wish we could have all been together to see all the presentations! I have responding to some folks off-line and thought I should just post if for the group. I talked really fast for the whole 55 minutes while we were looking at a fairly long ppt of lots of examples of my students' work so it would be difficult to reproduce here but here is the premise. I do lessons each week based on a letter of the alphabet that the classroom teacher is doing in her room and they don't teach the alphabet in order. I try to have a book to read that goes with the letter and lots of time a song. For example on D week we draw dogs. I staple some copy paper together to make a book with the cover titled "My Drawing Dog Book" Then using Ed Emberely's Drawing animals Book I do some "I draw , you draw" dogs with them. ( I
 draw on my big screen one line , then they draw on their paper) He has about 3-4 dogs in the book that use shapes and letters. Very easy for kdg.kids but empowering for them. The feel confident. The we do observational drawing.
 I have a big box of beanie baby dogs that I bought at yard sales. I put them on all the tables (there are enough for every kid to look at their own) and they draw more dogs from observation in their books. We use markers for drawing. While they are drawing I play "How Much is that Doggie in the Window" I have a book called The Badly Drawn Dog that I read which is wonderful -usually at the beginning of the lesson. So each week we do a lesson based on the letter. For B we make bowls by rolling balls of clay, For c we cut collage cats. You get the idea! Once you start thinking that way, you can come up with lots of lessons and it reinforces what they are learning in the classroom. I know another teacher who does alphabet lessons but she saves the work each week and they make a big book with it.
            hope this gets you on the track!
                        Jeryl in SC