Re:[teacherartexchange] 1st day seating & multiple project choices for HS

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 15:02:56 PDT

After reading your post, Sid, I was reminded and forgot to tell Eileen that I use a daily participation grade, too. I give 2 pts./day, but if I find that the student is going above and beyond what is expected and they are helping another student or clean up after someone else, they get an extra point. My project points are not too high either. If they screw up and don't turn anything in, it's usually easily traced by their lack of participation grade...this helps when I have to call parents. Yep, required by our district even at the HS level...I'd do it anyway even though passing out an "F" is certainly a wake-up call for some of these lazy bones.

It's self-explanatory in my ART 1 class...you work and put forth the effort, you get a good grade. If you are talented yet don't show the effort, then your grade may not be as high as someone without much talent. I agree that fun, basic, interesting projects and lots of encouragement and pats on the back are your best tools.

Sandy