Re: [teacherartexchange] 1st day seating & multiple project choices for HS

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 09:43:43 PDT

Hi. Ellen is right...everyone has their own personal style and seating
charts work for me. I teach 6,7,8-thers. I would not seat them
alphabetically as they are usually friends being seated ABC-style for
years in elem. school. I seat them randomly boy-girl style and for me
this has cut down on so much bad behavior, talking, etc. I present
this style of seating chart as...'"Please bear with the seating chart
until I learn your names". Being that I'm a slow learner on names,
this usually works for a semester.

I have a seating chart on the front table the first day of school.
When they come in, I greet them personally at the door and smile and
tell them to check the seating chart for seating. I usually have 4-5
kids not respond to my smile and greeting...I guess they aren't use to
it in the other classes...so my first "talk" after a big welcome is
discussing being friendly to someone who takes the time to smile and
greet you, how it can make or break someone's day if there is no
response to a smile, how we want it to be warm and friendly in the
classroom so everyone including me feels appreciated, and to please
make an effort tomorrow to smile and speak to everyone who says "hi".
It's amazing the next day how everyone makes a special effort to speak
to everyone and be extra friendly. I love this! It works for high-
schoolers as well.

As for choice of projects. There are always ways to "change" the
project for someone who wants choices. I would present the project and
then allow for changes as long as they completed the requirements that
have been stated. For example...change the shape of the paper
completely, limit the palette colors, change the medium if that is not
a requirement, make it 3-D, collage an area, mix medias. Let THEM come
up with the idea as long as they meet the requirements of the project.
It's exciting to see what goes through their minds and gives me new
avenues of thinking as well.

Toodles.....Bunki who is eking out the last few weeks of freedom