[teacherartexchange] kdg ideas-long post

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 10:24:01 PDT

Ok- I knew as soon as I hit the send key I would regret it. Don't misunderstand- I have been on this list for years and am very grateful for all the ideas and support I have gotten over the years. However sometimes I wonder if it's worth it spending hours typing responses to people and sometime just emailing them whole lesson plans and never even getting a quick email response. I don't want a Hallmark card in the mail ( although someone once sent me a Van Gogh flip book in the mail as a thank you gift for a big unit I sent to her-awesome!!!) It seems that some people are happy to snatch ideas and never give back to the list or even send a little thanks to the posters. I have been presenting at Nationals and my own state conferences (tech and art) and also work with first year teachers during a summer seminar so I truly don't mind giving back. However, if we are all going to be typing the ideas over and over, why not get a little reimbursement from
 someone? It would still be free to all of us. It was just a thought.
   Having said that, I'll take time out from sewing a baby sling for my first grandchild to post some ideas. Here is the premise of what I do. The first six weeks I do a booklet of the elements of art. I use 12 x 18 white paper which I give to the kdg aide before class so she can write the students' name in the bottom corner. If you know kdg, you know it takes forever to get names on paper the first few weeks and I want to get to some art. The actual first day I see them their teacher seats them and I do a quick seating chart while she spells their name (helps if you ask them to put names tags on them) Then I read them the book Leo the Late Bloomer. We talk about what they might do in the art room and as they name stuff -like paint, I show them all my brushes and paint and all the different kind I have, all my different scissors, etc. It gets them excited. Then I have a page ready with a short letter to the parents about the art room. Most of the page
 has a clip art frame on it and next they draw me in the frame while I pose and talk to them like start with my head, make it round, give me arms so I can drive home, give me legs, etc... They turn out great. I keep a copy and it is their first artwork in their portfolio and I send the original home Next week we start on their book .So on page one they draw the school - them coming to school, etc. We actually go outside and sit on the sidewalk and they use crayons and draw using the covers of wallpaperbooks under the paper so it's hard enough to draw on. I just put everything on a cart, crayons in boxes, wallpaper book covers, some tissues, my camera, their paper, etc. I talk about the shapes they see- squares, triangles etc. Makes a great cover for our book. I write MY ART Book on the page later. Next week they come with their paper already and we do a page on colors. I have a song, book, game etc. that we do at circle time then we do a page on primary
 colors with crayons. Next week lines and I introduce how to use markers. Next week shapes and we learn how to use scissors. Then patterns and then textures. Each week they learn a new element and also procedures in the art room. After about 6 weeks, the book is finished and I have high school teacher cadets come to help put it together with our binding machine. I send it home with a letter to parents explaining each page. Then we start doing the letter that the teacher in doing in her class. That is another story - not for today!
         I'm heading back to rock my grandbaby for another week before I have to start school next week. Meryl,if you are reading this, email me, I lost your contact info and I'll be in North Charleston tomorrow.
                Jeryl in SC