Re: [teacherartexchange] questions

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 17:59:25 PDT

Suzanne,

All hope is not lost.

Since they lack an art vocabulary you might consider looking for posters in art supply books that show examples of the Elements and Principles of Design. They have great drawing, painting, ceramic, collage, printmaking posters that also have art vocabulary attached. Having these up and around for students to reference to is important. They also provide a visual reference when you use these words in class.

There are great DVD's that cover the same subjects.

As far as starting with a base drawing lesson I would suggest maybe look at line development exercises: contour lines, blind contour, crosshatching, thick, thin, directional line, perspective (MS students). Using shapes and develop them into actual objects, using shapes to develop forms (shading/simulated texture can be introduced here). You are teaching drawing but breaking it down into its simplest form.

Since art was not taken seriously before you have that "mind set" to change. This is where you need to show them what kind of art you can do. Seeing that you produce art lends an air of value to you as the teacher.

Show them what other MS students have done in art classes. Pull things from the internet as motivation or inspiration to strive to do good work. Assure them you can take them on a great journey to find their artistic talent.

MS students (boys) particularly need hands on construction work to do. Cardboard constructions, ceramics, machines etc.

Connect your Art History/Cultural Art History to information and project making. African Mask using cardboard, Ceramic Vessels using Southwestern Native American Styles, Portraits using Van Goghs color mixing technique,
Chinese Brush painting etc. The list goes on. The key I found with art history is connect it to a art making experience.

Jeff (Minnesota)