Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice for New K-8 Art Teacher

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 08:04:15 PDT

Kathleen,
As you work through your first year - keep in mind that you will have
many of these students for several years.
When they come to you next year they will need new experiences to
build upon the lessons from last year.
As the years go by, you will see the knowledge and skills of the
students develop and grow. In our middle school,
as I retired, we were introducing "looping" for the regular teachers.
Teachers moving with the students as they got older
rather than teaching the same grade each year. There was a lot of
resistance by teachers toward this change. I tried
to explain that, as an art teacher, I have always been looping. I get
a student in the 6th grade, then again in the 7th and
the 8th. When I see them next year, they know me and my expectations.
I know what concepts I exposed them to last year
and I know what skill level they are at. So, I am in a good position
to move them forward more easily because we know each other.
You will find yourself in this sort of position as the years proceed.
I urge you to plan to take full advantage of the situation.
                                                                                                        Woody

On Aug 31, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Kathleen Toomey wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Im new here. Im looking for any advice on planning and organizing
> lessons for my new teaching job. I've gotten my first job teaching
> art at a private school one day a week for grades K-8. I see each
> class once a week for 30 minute sessions( not alot of time!) Im
> just looking for some advice on where to begin the year. Ive taught
> prek and kindegarten aged art before as well as after school K-5
> but have never had to devise lessons that progressed throughout the
> year. My question is: Do I begin with the basic elements and work
> through them through the year. Creating several lessons that extend
> on each element? I feel as if this would be benificial for the K-3
> but the older children may already be very familiar with this. Can
> anyone give me advice on where to begin and what to progress to
> with each grade level? Can Grades 3 and 4 work at the same pace,
> same for 5 and 6????Any advice is appreciated!!
> Kathleen

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

Read My Blog: