[teacherartexchange] Advice for New K-8 Art Teacher

---------

From: Kathleen Toomey (k_toomey2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 07:36:39 PDT

Hi Everyone,
Im new here. Im looking for any advice on planning and organizing lessons for my new teaching job. I've gotten my first job teaching art at a private school one day a week for grades K-8. I see each class once a week for 30 minute sessions( not alot of time!) Im just looking for some advice on where to begin the year. Ive taught prek and kindegarten aged art before as well as after school K-5 but have never had to devise lessons that progressed throughout the year. My question is: Do I begin with the basic elements and work through them through the year. Creating several lessons that extend on each element? I feel as if this would be benificial for the K-3 but the older children may already be very familiar with this. Can anyone give me advice on where to begin and what to progress to with each grade level? Can Grades 3 and 4 work at the same pace, same for 5 and 6????Any advice is appreciated!!
Kathleen