Re: [teacherartexchange] Old Kiln

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 09:21:07 PDT

On Aug 30, 2008, at 7:59 AM, ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> Other concerns have to do with clay and dust. This info is probably
> archived because last year there was a lot of discussion on the
> listserv about it. Clay dust is incredibly harmful, especially to
> your students with compromised upper respiratory systems or lung
> problems (asthma). You have to keep the area spotlessly clear of
> dust. If it is a general art room, all the more concern. If kids
> start throwing clay around or dropping it on the floor and tracking
> dust, you will have a short-lived program.
>
> Jane in Brooklyn

I used old drawing boards covered with canvas (backs of old pull down
maps)
for each student to work on. I insisted that the students be careful
to keep the
clay dust to a minimum. Throwing clay meant a student was out of
class till
we were finished with clay. The administration backed me on this. I also
had the custodians wet mop the floor every night when we worked on clay.
My students only breathed the clay dust 50 minutes per day. I had to
breath
the air in the room eight hours a day. As Jane said, clay is a
wonderful medium
and kids love it. It's a must in any program.
                                                        Woody

Read My Blog:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/August.html

Watercolors on Note Cards