Re: [teacherartexchange] How to get kids to read during class

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 07:38:08 PDT

Joe,

What do you want them to gain from reading the textbook that they cannot get from short 10 min demonstrations and lectures? Is the textbook information a lead in to the actual projects they do? Is the textbook information written in a visual and exciting manner? Is the textbook style appropriate for this age group?

These would be questions I would ask first.

Can the textbook information have a study guide?

Break reading down to 10 to 15 minutes. Chunk the reading. With specific questions they need to answer to demonstrate they read the material.

Use the reading as a jumping off point for doing other work. The reading is a task that must be done before a project can be started. It is their ticket to engage into working.

Could two people work reading together. One person reads a section and then gives a summery to the other person. The other person writes down the summery. When they get done a copy of the others summery goes to the partner.

Just some thoughts.

jeff (minnesota)