Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] How to get kids to read during class

From: Dave Haines (dhaines_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 08:06:17 PDT

I usually make study guide questions that follow the chapter (or partial
chapter sections) in sequence. Students complete the questions as they read
the chapter. I try to get them to read the entire chapter and then go back
to find the questions (but we know most won't do that). I don't advise
working in groups due to the fact that too many either copy the responses or
share them with one another. If I can get them to actually read the chapter
and find the answers to the questions, then some degree of retention of
information/facts takes place in most cases.

Hope this helps,