RE: [teacherartexchange] How to get kids to read during class

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 16:12:58 PDT

Hi Joe,

You may want to make what I call 'highlighter strips'. Take a blank
transparency and cut into fourths. Use a permanent yellow marker and
run it across the top of the transparency. This makes a highlighted
line. When the kids are reading, make them use the highlighter strips
so that you can track who's reading and what part they are reading. You
can also use them for student engagement by asking them to highlight
page numbers, titles, certain elements, vocabulary, etc.

When I taught in the regular classroom I also trained students to start
to read aloud when I would kneel next to them. The wouldn't start a
paragraph over or anything, just quietly start reading aloud where ever
they were at in the text.

You may also want to have groups with roles. Have readers, scribes for
notes, and presenters...etc.

And the last idea might be to have some kids read aloud in class
(volunteers). And if a student chooses not to read, they must summarize
in writing for you at the end of the class. A way of participating
without reading aloud in class.

Cheri Lloyd
Art Teacher/ Beginning Teacher Mentor
3435 Don Pedro Road