Re:[teacherartexchange] painting demo

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 08:05:15 PDT

Just yesterday, I went over to my old school art room and demonstrated the use of a video "visualizer" to the teacher who eventually took over my job when I retired. She was simply amazed at the ability of such a unit to demonstrate art techniques, both in 2D and 3D. Other posters have alluded to the benefits of such technology in the art classroom, and I sincerely hope that these devices become a staple of art rooms in the future. These things can do what art teachers have been struggling with for years, namely, demonstrating a variety of art methods and techniques using a format that kids readily clue into- television. I had mine hooked up via cable to the TV in my room. The device can zoom in to show detail, freeze images to show transitions, and even record to use again if necessary. Mine was a Cannon 450X, but there are many such units on the market now days. Using a visualizer keeps everyone in their seats, focused on a screen. You face the
 students and make sure everyone is paying attention and giving you the ability to field questions and interact with students at the same time. A definite win-win, if you ask me!