re:[teacherartexchange] painting demo

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 05:42:54 PDT

With 18 kids, you should be able to demo to them all at once. I think this is a key part of getting the kids to be able to cooperate and listen respectfully in your classroom. Here is what I do. First, choose the biggest table in your room (If you do not have a big table, you might want to ask your district to see if they can come up with one for you.). Then, explain to the kids that you will be demonstrating for them and to come to the table when called. Call each student up, one by one and point to where you want them to sit around the table. The first half of the kids will bring their chairs or stool with them and sit around the table. Control where you place them and make sure to put talkative kids next to quieter kids, etc. Then, once the are around the table is full with kids sitting, call the rest of the kids up, one by one, to stand behind the kids that are sitting. Then, when you are demonstrating, preface it by telling the kids they
 need to be silent. At the end, they may raise their hands to ask questions. If they start chatting or blurting out, follow whatever discipline plan you have. This is what I do at the beginning of the year and whenever I have a "squirrely class". After a few demonstrations, the kids are used to it and you can loosen up a bit and just tell them, "The first two tables, grab your chair and sit around the demo table." I think it's easier to start out really controlled this way and then ease up. If I have more respectful classes, I will allow them to ask questions as I go and not raise their hands. It all depends on the maturity of the kids.