RE: [teacherartexchange] need help with theatre prop

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 13:19:39 PDT

Considering this "bit" will be a quick change for the Roman bust and is definitely NOT the focal point of the show, I wouldn't be so concerned about what would be "visible". What I mean to say is this, do it as easily as possble, velcro, and then paint over the velcro. Paper mache sounds about right, and you can use a form of smaller holed chicken wire if you need to. Since you have the manikin use that as the form. The trick to props is three fold a) it must be durable, b) It must be easy for the actor to manipulate, and c)Paint, paint, paint (shadows, or faux marble, or whatever you choose to use). Go to your art history book and find a picture of a Roman female bust and use that as your guide. Remember to exaggerate as well, because people in the "cheap seats" need to see it as well.
Remember all theater is an illusion.

San D