[teacherartexchange] need help with theatre prop

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 13:05:09 PDT

Hi,
I've been asked to help the local theatre with making a prop for 'something
happened on the way to the forum'....they need a (fairly lifesized) roman
female bust (which is easy enough I suppose), but during the show, the nose
needs to be damaged so that the husband must "take it to the forum to get
the nose resharpened"......So, I suppose we could make two full busts (but
that would be hard to make them identical) with one with a damaged nose and
one without......OR.....make one really good bust which somehow has a
detachable nose......I thought of velcro, but that would be visible when the
nose it off......the nose has to fit so well onto the face that it's not
obvious that it's attached, and then easily detached......
As for how the bust is going to be made - since that might affect the nose -
I have two options really.
Option A - take a paper mache cast off of a manikin that I have, and then
use cardboard, fabric, etc. to 'sculpt' the base and the details.....then
more paper mache etc.
Option B - start with a styrofoam head, and then paper mache all the rest,
using cardboard, fabric, etc. as the form.
Any ideas???
sue