RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: Peshette, Alix (apeshette_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 15:29:59 PDT

Woody,
I totally agree about drawing from observation. When I was teaching 7th
grade art, we had drawing warm-ups. I taught how to draw and shade
ribbons by reeling off lengths of cash register tape (found at thrift
stores) and had student set the tape up on edge on the group table.
They looked carefully and drew the contours and then shaded areas.
Another warm-up involved destroying a foam cup (a BIG favorite with
junior high). Each student got to break a piece of the cup and then
arrange the pieces as a still life in the middle of the table for a
one-minute quick draw. The cup and pieces were then passed to the next
student. Everyone got a chance to destroy the cup - they loved it. We
also brought students' bikes into the classroom, put them up on the
tables and everyone had to draw the bike from the view that they got -
very challenging. For a Dia de los Muertos project, we borrowed the
skeleton from the science department, put it up on a table and had a
student get in a dance pose with the skeleton which we all drew.
Ah...those were the days. The only thing I don't miss was scraping up
crushed oil pastels from the dang carpet in our portable classroom!

-Alix

Alix E. Peshette
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Placer County Office of Education
360 Nevada St.
Auburn, CA. 95603 USA
530-889-5976
apeshette@placercoe.k12.ca.us
http://www.placercoe.k12.ca.us
Blog: http://www.k12hsn.org/edzone/blogs.php/alixpeshette/
http://del.icio.us/artfully

"Technology - opening minds with a new set of keys"

NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or agent
thereof, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and any
use, dissemination, disclosure, forwarding, printing, copying, or any
action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the original message,
attachments, and all copies of the original message from your system.

Please note that any views and/or opinions presented in this e-mail are
Placer County Office of Education.

Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. Although the Placer County Office of Education
has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in
this e-mail, it accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this e-mail or attachments.