RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: Peshette, Alix (apeshette_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 14:35:37 PDT

Hi,
This might be heresy, but I think copying has its place in art
education. I used copying to teach an oil pastel lesson on gridding and
enlarging a visually appealing food image from magazines. The students
enlarged their images onto 18"x12" drawing paper and used the food
advertisement to blend and match colors. This was a 2-3 week project for
7th graders, but the results were often dazzling. Years later, students
and parents used to tell me that they still had the pictures.

-Alix

Alix E. Peshette
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Placer County Office of Education
360 Nevada St.
Auburn, CA. 95603 USA
530-889-5976
apeshette@placercoe.k12.ca.us
http://www.placercoe.k12.ca.us
Blog: http://www.k12hsn.org/edzone/blogs.php/alixpeshette/
http://del.icio.us/artfully

"Technology - opening minds with a new set of keys"

NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or agent
thereof, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and any
use, dissemination, disclosure, forwarding, printing, copying, or any
action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the original message,
attachments, and all copies of the original message from your system.

Please note that any views and/or opinions presented in this e-mail are
Placer County Office of Education.

Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. Although the Placer County Office of Education
has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in
this e-mail, it accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this e-mail or attachments.