RE: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 13:00:28 PDT

I agree with you, Diane. I work with kids who don't see much other than
their own classroom and own home every day. What most kids lack today
is experiences and background knowledge. I live less than two hours
from the ocean and the mountains, and in most classes over half my
students have never left our small town.

I only have them for 45 minutes every week. I can't take them to a park
or on a field trip each week, but I try to bring in as much realia as
possible. We study plants, instruments, chairs, each other, whatever we
can in our creative expression. But there are times when I can't bring
something in like animals, or the ocean and mountains. We all need to
study and gain knowledge before we can produce. Sometimes that comes
artificially from photos. Although my students are never allowed to
copy, I help them train their eyes to see the elements that we don't
always pay attention to when we are busy living our busy lives.

I completely agree that as we develop we should create from what we
know. But what if students just don't "know" yet?

Cheri Lloyd
Art Teacher/ Beginning Teacher Mentor
3435 Don Pedro Road
Ceres, CA 95307