RE: [teacherartexchange] Olympic Parade of Nations Art

---------

From: Cheryl Lloyd (clloyd_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 08:20:47 PDT

This is what I came up for this Olympic idea (with some of your help as
well, thanks to those who gave their ideas!):

As students came into my classroom I asked how many had been watching
the Olympics. I had each group take 30 secs to tell each other what
their favorite Olympic moments have been. I then told the class mine.
I spoke of the Opening Ceremonies and the Chinese dancers that had paint
on their hands. I told them about the Parade of Nations and the feeling
I get when I see all the people from all over the world. I then
explained how the athletes stepped on the gigantic ink pad and left
their mark on the canvas that the dancers had painted earlier in the
night. I asked the classes if they thought any of the althletes
considered themselves artists as they entered the Bird's Nest that
evening. I told the kids that it made me think of my own art class. I
feel that just by walking into my classroom you are leaving your mark.
You become an artist. I told the classes that just like the athletes at
the Olympics, that they needed to be disciplined and needed to give
their best effort every time they walked through the door. I told them
that they may not feel they are the best at every project in art, and
that they will find their niche just like the athletes. And so on...

They then walked up to a long piece of paper and left their mark. Some
painted a long line across the paper, others painted symbols, some just
made a mark and walked away. It's beautiful. I am going to hang it in
the cafeteria. It made me think of this poem:

We are born into the world like a blank canvas,
 and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush,
 and makes their mark upon our surface.

 So it is that we develop,
but we must realize there comes a day,
 that we must take up the brush and finish the work.

For only we can determine if we are to be,
 Just another painting or a Masterpiece.
-Anonymous

I may incorporate this into the title or hang this by it, I'm not sure.
Or something that says something about the Olympics.

I looked all sorts of sites for the footage for the night and couldn't
find anything that showed that part of the evening. I even had a hard
time finding photos, but here is a site that shows part of the painting:
http://en.beijing2008.cn/ceremonies/headlines/openingceremony/s214516088
/index.shtml

Click on the Parade of Athletes and scroll down to the second to the
last photo.

Cheri Lloyd
Art Teacher/ Beginning Teacher Mentor
3435 Don Pedro Road