Re: [teacherartexchange] Seven Period Day Advise Needed

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 10:14:21 PDT

Hi Joe, wow, 45 is even shorter than ours--53 min. If it's a new assignment and kids don't know what to do they need to sit and listen. Normally if they're already started they should enter the room and get their work and get busy. I take roll after they are started--usually around the middle of class (altho admin doesn't really like this). I give them a quick time toclean depending on how messy the work is. For pottery it's always a zoo because I have big classes (43 on my rolls!!) and one sink. When they're on the wheel I have them quit 15-20 min. early to get their splash pans washed. I have bath loofas to clean up with (they're super) and brushes for their nails and hands and I usually go back there for the first month and hurry everyone along. I also help them when they get behind. I never pass out matierial--I have them ready and they go pick them up. Consequently I have to get organized with supplies during the last part of the previous period. I have 6 tables that are 4'x8' and then a sma
ll table in the center for supplies. My desk and drawers are a supply station. My chair is a movable table. You're going to hate it at first, but you get used to anything

>>> <joe3cox@cox.net> 8/15/2008 11:49 am >>>
Hello All,
I teach high school and my school is going from an eight block schedule where we had four classes a day that are 80 minutes long and we meet ever other day, A day and B day. To a 7 period day were classes are 45 minutes and we see the students everyday. I have never taught in this kind of schedule so this will be totally different for me.

I teach Ceramic and Fundamentals of Art class so if you have made this transition or teach with this type of schedule please pass on any suggestions you have on how you run your class. Suggestions on lecturing, handing out supplies, cleaning up or any time saving advise would be really appreciated.

Hope everyone new school year is starting off great.
Blessings,
Joe

-*Scanned by ECSD GWAVA*-