Re: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 08:03:26 PDT

I have been reading the responses to copying and I just wanted to
give my 2 cents worth.

In Art 4 I used to do an assignment in which we studied and
researched artists from the impressionist era. They were to look at
many works from this period and pick an artist that they liked. In
style, technique, colors used, themes or subject matter, etc. They
were to plan out and use Craypas (Oil Pastel) to create the Next
painting that artist would do. Using similar subject matter, style
and technique. This was a great challenge to them as they would try
to copy the artist's painting but I was not allowing them. Some
would combine parts of painting to make a new one as in Cezanne's
still-life's or houses. Some found resources of flowers, scenes or
things that the artists would use and likened them to a painting
already done. Most found this to be challenging and had to study the
artist as well as come up with their next painting. The Craypas was
a good media as it played into the dabbing style or smoothed out with
paint thinner.

I wrestled with this as copying but I tried to preface it with Art
History and not a copy of a single work. The one's who were very
successful would include this piece with their A.P. work and even
used it as a concentration project.

I just thought that I would share this as a possible copying/original
project.

Ken Schwab
retired secondary
San Jose CA