Re: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 05:10:52 PDT

Woody,

Thank you so much for your input on this. An artist perspective is such a great and valued opinion.

I suggest to students both Elementary and High School being in the digital camera age to take photos to use for projects. I polled my students on who had a personal digital camera and was surprised to see who many had them. I offered them to bring in their memory cards, cameras to download the images to our classroom computers for them to manipulate the photos to create compositions they could use for works. This has worked very successfully.

I do suggest to students to work from "real" objects, develop compositions from observation. We discuss the transition of doing onsite sketches, taking photos of the observation, then moving back into the classroom (studio) to continue the composition.

The copy/imitation issue is a teachable moment. Like many things guiding students when to know to use copying/imitation is what we do as teachers.

For many competitions that my High School and Elementary students submit works for the word "original" comes up all the time. As a class we discuss that copying magazine photos or other works of art is not acceptable for submission and why it isn't. For our school art shows students must submit at least one "original" work and if a work is not "original" students must provide that information on their works id tag and within their artist statement. What is interesting is that over time the non-original works have decreased while the original works have increased.

Jeff (Minnesota)