[teacherartexchange] from long to shorter art classes

---------

From: MERRILEE GLADKOSKY (gladrag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 13:55:06 PDT

Last year we went through a change from one hour to 45
minute art classes on the elementary level. We went
to a four day rotation. No one wants to hear that we
actually do lose time with the transition,
introduction and cleanup taking up so much of EACH
time the children come in but it's very true. I had a
hard time with unfinished work this year and although
I have been teaching art since the dinorsaurs ruled
the earth (well, shortly thereafter) I have been
thrown off track by the change.
     The biggest thing I have done to help myself is
to limit the media I used during a single day/week.
The less media clean up I have the better off I am.
Then, one class sets up the tables for the next one
coming in. I can teach good, spiraling lessons but I
cannot keep up with going from one class to another
with total set up changes. Just offering this as food
for thought.
Merrilee in CT