[teacherartexchange] Seven Period Day Advise Needed

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 11:18:27 PDT

Dear Joe and others,

My high school never went to 80 periods. We got close about 8 years ago,
than the Science dept. had a mutiny.( the had double periods already and
did not want to lose them )
So I have taught ceramics and general art classes in 45 minute units all my
life.

You have been given lots of good advice. Starting and stopping/cleanup
routines become critical.

I tend to give an overview/introduce the unit(10 minutes), than have two to
three days where I meet them at the door and say go straight to making art.
than we stop briefly and look at what is going on and set a due date.

Clean up is hard . There are always the ones that clean up ten minutes
early cause they don't like to be "Rushed at the sink". Good luck on
figuring them out. We have about a 7 minute warning for clean up. I also
have to say more than once, in the early part of the year " I dismiss you,
not the bell"... so if the whole class gets behind and the bell goes, it is
still their responsibility to stay, and clean. If you can stand by it, the
clean up is more efficient. It helps to be standing in the door way the
first time you do have to hold a class back for clean up. If they have
disregarded their cues for clean up I won't write a late pass either. ( My
school's mascot is the witch , can you tell?:>)

Ceramics with 45 minutes. I always do them only when I have a student
teachers. I seek out student teachers who have good ceramic skills. That
has worked pretty darn well for me.

Randy in Maine,( who is trying not to panic over the new AP course I am
teaching this fall... in one 45 minute period.)