Re: [teacherartexchange] Learning by copying?

---------

From: John Torr (jctorr_2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 23:40:50 PDT

Learning by copying?

Personally I think it is important to allow students
to imitate other artwork and artists as well as using
photographic reference, especially in the lower
secondary classes. In developing an individual
response, students need to build ideas through
imitation until later in the upper secondary they may
take flight with their own individual creativity. In
imitation there is also an interpretative response
isn't there? I prefer to allow students to imitate
(IE, comic strip) and adapt the artwork so that it
applies to the individual. I want students to feel
secure first on familiar ground and then build on that
ground in order to develop an individual style of
work.

John C Torr