Re: [teacherartexchange] getting a job

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 20:10:32 PDT

Patty,

I to have interviewed my share of the "flower power" candidates who come in and cannot answer a question to save their souls. While on the other hand I have had candidates who have come in with remarkable portfolio's full of examples of projects, lesson plans, photo's and are able to talk about their students success. The candidate can "think" on their feet with "what if" questions.

I to have worked with administrators who struggle with interviewing "Arts teachers". This area is so out of their comfort zone they are not sure what they should ask or even assess what the candidate even says. I like to shoot off to them as many question examples as I can to help them out along with giving them some idea how the questions might be answered. I have thought of making a rubric for administrators to assess a candidates responses.

Patty you bring up a good point about "originality". We have those in our art classes that thrive with the idea of creating original work, we have those that just want to make something and be done with it(they have to take the class to get a credit) and then we have those who want to make a creative work but don't know how to do that, get started or even find original ideas or content. This is were we as educators have to juggle the three learning styles, determine how to assess them and be fair in that process. As far as students making the choice I think they have for so long, elementary and middle school been dictated on what they can do making the decision is scary along with the fear of maybe being wrong. The wrong is heightened when students are not allowed to refine, or start over. The pleasing is an outgrowth of both the classroom and home the students so needing positive reinforcement, hearing the words, "that's very good", "wow such a good
 artist", "excellent", having work that does not meet the teachers or parents acceptance then is seen as a failure. To be successful many times students see copying/making to please others a path to "real time" acceptance.

Patty you to share such great wisdom. Thank you.

Jeff (Minnesota)