[teacherartexchange] if I was a mean coordinator... rubric

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 17:33:31 PDT

"if I was a mean coordinator, I would make a rubric that evaluated my
teacher's lessons and expectations."

I don't think that would make you a mean coordinator. A rubric is for
all parties - they help me put into words what I am assessing, and they
help the kids understand my expectations. I am reading a book that has
helped me verbalize what I do in my room. I have never highlighted or
put post-it notes in a book - this one is filled with both....

As for assessing creativity - I like to use the levels of creativity...

Levels of creativity
The first three levels of creativity can be attained by anyone who is
motivated and who has persistence enough to see projects and ideas
through. The last two levels may be unattainable to all but those who
are highly gifted creatively, or those who are naturally creative
geniuses.
1. Primitive and intuitive expression:
2. Academic and technical level:
3. Inventive level:
4. Innovative level:
5. Genius level:

As for the book:

"Fair isn't Always Equal"
Rick Wormeli

"Wormeli has four beliefs that drive his book. His first belief is that
differentiation is an effective mechanism for student learning.
Wormeli's definition of differentiation is compatible with Tomlinson's
(2001) definition of work that is tiered up or down based on student
abilities. Wormeli is an advocate for focusing instruction and
assessment on standards. He does not advocate particular standards, but
he suggests that whatever standards are used should be prioritized in
terms of important concepts and skills. This means that "fluff"
assignments should never be given (pp. 34-35).

The author's second belief is that the goal of education is mastery of
the skills and important concepts that have been established for
students to learn. Because the question of what should be mastered is
beyond the scope of the book, Wormeli focuses on the criteria for the
evidence of mastery. This section is influenced by Wiggins & McTighe
(2005). (Readers desiring more background on what constitutes evidence
of mastery should consult chapter seven of their Understanding by
Design.)

The third belief driving the book is that assessment should be used as a
tool to inform instructional decisions. Readers will come away with a
clear understanding of the role of pre-assessments, formative
assessments, and summative assessments in a differentiated classroom.
Readers wanting broader coverage of the relationship of assessment to
instruction should consult Popham (2003).

Wormeli's fourth belief is that academic grades should be a direct
reflection of mastery. This means that factors such as effort, behavior,
and attendance should not be included in calculating grades (chapter
eight). It also means that students should be allowed to redo work
without penalty (chapter ten) and should not be graded on homework (pp.
116-120). For broader coverage on the topic of grading readers should
consult Marzano (2000) or Guskey & Bailey (2001).

Education Book Review

Getting ready for our second week of school,
Ellen