Re: [teacherartexchange] getting a job

---------

From: Anne Verrier Scatolini (avscatolini_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 15:38:20 PDT

check out MOCA CAS...Museum of Contemporary Art - Contemporary Art
Start in Los Angeles. A wonderful pedagogy imbued in creative
inquiry that " delays premature closure" the fear that keeps kids
paralyzed.
On Aug 16, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Patricia Knott wrote:

> Thanks Jeff,
>
> The principal who generated these questions is /was ( she retired
> this year) very savvy at spotting the best candidates and also
> very very good at being a mentor once the candidate got in
> place. Just between us, I have interviewed way too many who were
> art "flakes" and couldn't answer the big questions. Can't tell you
> how many times a principal has said to me after an interview --
> no way.
>
> But I have also been in interviews where the principal questions
> were lame. So I hope maybe these good questions will get passed on.
>
> I have one more week and I'm scrambling to make a department
> agenda for the first day. I have a good department , I just try
> to make them better. I'm struggling with an attitude that just
> because a kid is in art he/she will be creative. I'm trying to
> figure just how we assess "originality" and don't penalize the kids
> who don't have clue. I'm convinced that so many kids have always
> been told - no- that fear is a driving factor in them not making a
> choice. Nomatter what we do to make them comfortable , they
> only want to please.
>
> if I was a mean coordinator, I would make a rubric that evaluated
> my teacher's lessons and expectations.
>
> Always enjoy your posts
>
> Patty
>

> On Aug 16, 2008, at 5:30 PM, Jeff Pridie wrote:
>
>> Patty,
>>
>> Thank you for sharing these. I passed them on to other department
>> heads and particularly my administrators. A nice broad spectrum
>> of questions to get a good feel for the candidate.
>>
>> Jeff (Minnesota)

>>> 2. Describe some characteristics of an effective art
>>> teacher?
>>> 3. What did you do to prepare for this interview?
>>> 4. What are the 3 most important skills or ideas all
>>> students should
>>> learn from an art curriculum?
>>> 5. How do you know students are learning?
>>> 6. How would you integrate communication skills in the art
>>> program?
>>> how do you make connections to other learning?
>>> 7. What kind of behavior pushes your buttons?
>>> 8. What is an effective lesson? ( Example of objective)
>>> 9. How do you deal with the diversity of types of learners
>>> in a class
>>> ( When and how would you differentiate a lesson?)
>>> 10. How do you teach problem solving in the art curriculum?
>>> 11. Talk about your experience with technology
>>> 12. What would you say to a parent that challenges the way
>>> you teach?
>>> ( how do you communicate with parents)
>>> 13. Who has had the most influence on your thinking and
>>> philosophy?
>>> and why?
>>> 14. What do you uniquely have to offer the school
>>> community?
>>> 15. Is there a question you wished we would have asked and
>>> didn't?