Re: [teacherartexchange] getting a job

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 14:58:50 PDT

Thanks Jeff,

  The principal who generated these questions is /was ( she retired
this year) very savvy at spotting the best candidates and also very
very good at being a mentor once the candidate got in place. Just
between us, I have interviewed way too many who were art "flakes" and
couldn't answer the big questions. Can't tell you how many times a
principal has said to me after an interview -- no way.

But I have also been in interviews where the principal questions were
lame. So I hope maybe these good questions will get passed on.

  I have one more week and I'm scrambling to make a department agenda
for the first day. I have a good department , I just try to make
them better. I'm struggling with an attitude that just because a kid
is in art he/she will be creative. I'm trying to figure just how we
assess "originality" and don't penalize the kids who don't have clue.
I'm convinced that so many kids have always been told - no- that fear
is a driving factor in them not making a choice. Nomatter what we
do to make them comfortable , they only want to please.

if I was a mean coordinator, I would make a rubric that evaluated my
teacher's lessons and expectations.

Always enjoy your posts

Patty