[teacherartexchange] getting a job

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 13:18:41 PDT

often questions come up on these lists about job interviews

I was just cleaning up my "books" getting ready to return to school
in another week and found these interview questions. I am an art
coordinator K-12 and these questions came from one of my most
favorite elementary principals and one of the best at making good
judgments about teacher potential. I don't think she would mind if I
published her questions.

1. What is your educational background?
2. Describe some characteristics of an effective art teacher?
3. What did you do to prepare for this interview?
4. What are the 3 most important skills or ideas all students should
learn from an art curriculum?
5. How do you know students are learning?
6. How would you integrate communication skills in the art program?
how do you make connections to other learning?
7. What kind of behavior pushes your buttons?
8. What is an effective lesson? ( Example of objective)
9. How do you deal with the diversity of types of learners in a class
( When and how would you differentiate a lesson?)
10. How do you teach problem solving in the art curriculum?
11. Talk about your experience with technology
12. What would you say to a parent that challenges the way you teach?
( how do you communicate with parents)
13. Who has had the most influence on your thinking and philosophy?
and why?
14. What do you uniquely have to offer the school community?
15. Is there a question you wished we would have asked and didn't?
16. What questions do you have for us?

For those of you struggling -- keep your eyes open at this time of
year. Often right before school starts there are resignations and
additions to be made. LAst year i had to hire the day before school
started.

I will admit I am not a good interviewer. I get caught up in
portfolios and evidence that the teacher has skills and knows how to
bring results from the kids in open -ended problem solving. Sometimes
I don't "hear" the bigger teacher questions. But I must say that I
have interviewed many many and most times what turns me off is the
art candidate who can't "focus" on the question and gets all wrapped
up in art stuff that make principal eyes glaze over.

I did a lot of hiring last year and I'm very proud to say I got some
great people. If I had to make a bottom line it was ENERGY, and
genuineness. We all look for a professional attitude and the ability
to answer all questions without big hesitations. If I had to pick
one quality I think all teachers need , it's the ability to make
decisions on the spot. I do this a zillion times a day. If you
can't express that quality in an interview, then I have to question
how you respond to 25-30 kids all asking questions at the same time.

Be smart- know all the current jargon. Show that you will do
anything. Focus on the teacher skills. It's a tough market and it's a
crap shoot -- really!

I've been in interviews with principals where everything focusses on
management and interviews when the art is really a concern. It
doesn't matter which way it goes -- they are looking to see how adept
and adaptable you are.

Patty