Re: [teacherartexchange] Seven Period Day Advise Needed

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 10:39:20 PDT

Gabrielle

> As far as why- I know the 2 reasons at my school.
> #1 entice students with more electives.
> #2 more remedial math and reading so we can get off the bad
> school list.

The second reason I can for sure see and seems to be the solution many districts are going by creating more remedial math, science, reading etc. classes because of the low scoring on test. Said part is remedial classes only take the student so far but it is a way for the district to show they are trying to "improve".

I know of many schools cutting back on electives particularly AP classes because the class numbers are shrinking. To many electives spread the students to thin.

> I appreciate your suggestions Jeff. THe only pro active
> thing I have done so far is last spring
> when I did the schedule I scheduled AP next to intermediate
> classes thinking that students
> may be able to take 2 back to back or stay late/come in
> early.

Very good idea about your schedule changes. You are fortunate to control that as I am but many teachers do not and they end up with very difficult scheduling issues. I think as teachers we need to be "pro-active" and think in broader terms of how we can best give our students the best possible classroom experience with the limited time we have. Sometimes it means cut the class to the "core" experience and cut out some of the fluff....ah yes even in art we have fluff.

Jeff (Minnesota)