[teacherartexchange] Our first Mural

---------

From: Stacey Scott (gadfly1958_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 08:40:52 PDT

Hi, For over two years, I've been a lurker. I can't tell you how much I learn from you all -- when I accepted the assignment as art teacher, it was really this list that taught me, kept my sanity, and educated me!

I would like to celebrate the completion of our mural by sharing it -- but as I have no school website or other means, if you wish to see it, just respond to my email and I will share it! The email below was sent to all who helped, so I'm including it as a means of explanation.

   Dear Friends, You are being included in this email because you either donated or tried to donate paint to my school. And because in my initial Craig's List plea for paint I promised pictures of the completed project to all donors-- here they are! Due to legalities, I cannot include pics of the children working on it (and too bad, cuz those pics are wonderful!).

This 6th grade mural (created as a way to "leave their mark" before graduating to middle school) was finally begun in late June and completed on the very last day of school; half an hour before graduation, the students were adding the final strokes of paint.

This being my first mural EVER, it was way more complicated than I had ever imagined - after countless hours of research, I first had to wash and scrub the 28 by 7 ft area with TSP cleaner and then paint it with a primer. I also quickly learned that a kabillion cans of paint and many drippy brushes attempting to work on a vertical surface is better with only about 4 or 5 kids at a time, it was slow going. Additionally, we could only work in the morning; by noon the heat of the sun and slant of the light -- it was a textured wall, and every bump had a shadow under it -- made the task difficult or impossible.

I was determined to have every 6th grader in the school contribute to their "legacy", but I was only able to accomplish this because my collegues; my team shared or took over my normal teaching duties, and the 6th grade teachers allowed me to pull students whenever I asked. Except for some lettering and the outline of a flower (when the kids left to attend their graduation, leaving last minute detalils undone, I was desperate), every stroke on this mural was accomplished by the 6th graders of Balboa Elementary.

And the highlight for me (other than just being DONE) was watching graduates proudly pose with families for their graduation pictures -- in front of the mural. The other pictures are the beginnings of a more ambitious project (which at this time I have no idea how we will finish) that covers more than 50 feet of wall space and is based on a poem.

Here is a GIANT THANK YOU for your participation. If not for you, it never would have happened!gratefully,
Stacey Sasaki
Art teacher, K-6,
Balboa Elementary, San Diego