Re: [teacherartexchange] staff development for the arts ideas

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 10 2008 - 15:00:05 PDT

On Aug 9, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

> It is great that you are able to include professional development.
>
> As part of professional development, might identify what is learned
> in studio art classes that is not being learned in other parts of
> the curriculum? What is learned in studio art classes that is
> helpful for everybody's success in life? Are the state and federal
> art standards the most important things that should actually be
> learned in art classes, or are their ways of learning and skills
> that are not covered in the standards? To what extent should studio
> art be learned through self-constructed knowledge vs. the behavior
> management of prescribed assignments and "followed the directions"
> rubrics? How do art students respond to various art teacher
> dispositions and personalities? How are student minds developed in
> art classes? What are the unique kinds of brain neurons nurtured by
> the different instructional approaches used in an art studio? How
> have the best artists in the world learned to become the world's
> best artists? What are the issues that art teachers would like to inv
> estigate in their classrooms? What about forming a list of basic
> art learning topics/issues and invite art teachers to select the
> topics they are willing to study (and conduct classroom
> experiments) and help the other teachers become familiar with their
> topic?

I love what Marvin proposes as questions, but

it's hefty stuff and not easily assessable with out lots of
searching and researching.

I am a department head so I am constantly looking for issues and
questions for my staff for those awful in-service days. And
what I find is that there are teachers like me who want to know
everything and search
and teachers who will listen to a presentation that has been searched
and then "file" it
and teachers who do their thing and don't care to change ------
unless.....

just like kids

so unless you present something for professional development in all
the same ways you present stuff for kids --- it's going to go into
the file for "things to be considered."
I love curriculum, I love brain research, I love looking at new ways,
but I must say most of my staff will sit through this and file it
away. It's my first job to teach kids , and they will usually comply
and go along with. And hen I'm supposed to guide teachers. Teachers
are the worst students! They do everything we don't want our kids to
do. And, some how, they don't transfer that non-compliance to their
students behaviors and that's a study all of it's own.

Marvin has given a great list of ideas to present to staff at
department meetings. I particularly like
>> select the topics they are willing to study (and conduct classroom
>> experiments) and help the other teachers become familiar with
>> their topic?

Teachers need to take the same kind of responsibility as we ask the
kids. Learning doesn't stop with tenure.

Thanks Marvin for making my first department meeting agenda.

oh and
> How are student minds developed in art classes?

Don't give me advocacy stuff-- give me examples.

Patty